XLarge White Sage Smudge Bundle - 8.5 to 9". Sage was used Native American tribes for women's health issues and colds and sacred ceremonies. The shamans used dried sage plants on their fires as a ritual of calling upon ancestral spirits. Any conflict, anger, illness or evil was absorbed by the sage smoke to be released or cleansed from the energy field of a person.
White sage, also known as Salvia apiana, is a medicinal herb native to dessert climates across the world. The use of incense and other smoke and vapor to connect humans to the spirit world, can be easily traced throughout the East in parts of Asia and even dating as far back to Ancient Greece. Sage was used Native American tribes for women's health issues and colds and sacred ceremonies. The shamans used dried sage plants on their fires as a ritual of calling upon ancestral spirits. Any conflict, anger, illness or evil was absorbed by the sage smoke to be released or cleansed from the energy field of a person.
Smudging is ritual alchemy — changing and shifting the air element, and transforming our current experience to a mystical one.
- -You move into a new living space
- -You begin a new job or start your own business
- -Before and after a guest enters your home
- -Before and after a yoga or healing session
- -Before meditation
- -After an argument or any illness
- -Upon returning home from crowded situations
Below is a simple 3-step sage smudging ritual to try:
1. Use loose dried white sage or a white ceremonial sage bundle, light with intention, smudge stick should smolder, not burn. Gentle blow on the meter in 1-second intervals int maintain it (Always use caution). Relight when needed. Use an abalone shell or heat proof ceramic dish to catch ashes and place smudge on when you need to rest your smudge stick. Once you have a nice smoke going, use you hand or a feather to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualize the smoke taking away with it any negative energy from your life, any darkness or malady.
2. Direct your mind to a specific set of words that encourage or dispel negative energy from the space. Call in the elements, your guides, angels and protectors to shield you. With intention clear each space repeating your words of intention. The sage ceremony lifts the veil between the everyday and the sacred. As you say your words of intention, you are shifting energy at will.
3. Smudge first your body crown to feet, front and back, you hands your feet, using slow circular movements so the smoke flows around the body (Use caution when doing this). Then begin to move through your space. Begin in any rooms or area and start in the area furthest from the exit. Move the smoke from the Sage all around the room - high, low, side to side as you make your way to the exit. Wave the smoke into all corners, across doorways and into shadow spaces. To maintain the atmosphere of ritual, keep repeating the words of intention in your mind as you diffuse the smoke. Once the space is cleared, allow the sage bundle to either burn out or gently press it out in your heat-proof shell or container. Open a door or window and encourage any negative energies to dispel from the area.
Tip: You can even bury the remaining smudge in your garden to really feel the completeness of the cleansing ritual. Once buried, the sage has done its work in completing the elemental cycle. Ideally, you should try to use a new smudge for each cleansing.
What you say is not as important as what you believe and think. Begin by allowing yourself to free your thought of any negativity. Use deep breathing to bring in energy of the highest vibration and light and exhale negativity until you feel a state of relaxation and balance. Remember that the Universe is always co-conspiring to aid and assist you for your highest and best good and your thoughts reinforce the Universe's ability to assist you. You may use the blessing below or modify to suit your intent, situation or beliefs:
This Sacred Sage Burns As I Walk With the Great Spirit
To Cleanse This Space and Protect My Home
To Heal, Bring Strength an Bring Peace
I Honor the Cycle of Life and The Four Directions
From the New Beginning in the East, Birth
The Warmth and Light of the South, Growth
Closing the Day, Bringing Change in the West, Maturity
The North Gives Wisdom and Guidance, Transition
To Heal and Strengthen, the Sacred Sage Burns
For our/my Highest Good and Vibration
All Energies that Do Not Resonate with This
Must leave. Only positive energies for our/my Highest Good
May Remain (Repeat as needed).